What's Cooking Wednesday: Protein Packed Breakfast

Protein Packed Breakfast

When I was in high school and college, sleep was a million times more important to me than breakfast. But now as a mommy, I'm trying to be a good example to my little monkey.  I also have PCOS which makes me insulin resistant. That means I have to watch it on the carbs (which is, of course, a huge bummer at this time of year with all the holiday goodies!) And when you're eating a lower carb diet, protein is a huge deal. So having some at every meal is a necessity. Unfortunately, I'm not big on eggs which is obviously the more common source of healthy breakfast protein. On the bright side I have found a recipe for pancakes (yes, PANCAKES!) that fits my lifestyle and is super tasty. If you like banana bread, you'll love it.






Protein Pancakes


two large eggs
one banana
1/3 cup of old fashioned oats
any add-ins (I use dark chocolate chips and pecan pieces)

1. Throw all the ingredients in a blender until they're combined really well and the mixture looks like pancake batter.
2. Heat up a pan and use some cooking spray, just like when you make regular pancakes. They don't have the same texture though, so they will cook a little differently. Try it on a lower heat than regular pancakes. 

You can also add in anything you want. I use some dark chocolate chips and some pecan chips. And honestly, since this breakfast feels like dessert, why not add some whipped cream?  I'm supposed to only have 60 carbs max per meal, and these (including the add ins and the whipped cream) are just under that.








If you want to get your protein at breakfast but don't like eggs, this is a great way to get it in.

If you try this recipe and you like it, let me know in the comments!

Enjoy

xoxo Lauren







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Just Playing...

I have a confession to make...

New Recipe: Thai Pumpkin Soup