Fall Decor DIY: Lantern

Since the kiddos are back to school at the end of the month, I decided it was time to start getting my space ready for the fall. I mean, I won't go so far as to get my first PSL yet, but I do want to start making the apartment cozy and homey for the (eventually) cooler weather.  In this 3-part series, I'm going to show you all the little free-to-super cheap projects I've done that will make your space fall-ready and won't take up a ton of seasonal storage space.



Fall Decor DIY: Lantern

In this third and last installment of Fall Decor DIY, I'll be showing you how I made this candle holder lantern for less than $5!  You could spray paint the frames if you want to.  I just wanted something dark and simple, so I just picked plain black frames.  I'm using this to hold a candle, but I've seen something like this used as a terrarium to hold some plants, too.

I used:


  • 4 5x7 picture frames (when choosing frames, try and find ones that are flat around the edges. The ones I chose were a little rounded, so I had a tough time gluing them together.)
  • black washi tape
  • hot glue gun
  • pliers
  • fabric leaves 
  • scrap piece of cardboard


1. Remove the backs and glass from all the frames.
2. With a pair of pliers, carefully remove the metal pieces that hold in the glass and backs of the frames.
3. Hot glue the glass to the inner edges of the frames.
4. Use I then used black and gold washi tape to give my lantern a little visual interest.



5. Hot glue the frames together to create a box.
6. Cut a piece of cardboard to the size of the bottom of the "box."  Glue leaves in a single but overlapping layer to the cardboard to create a base for the lantern.




Other seasonal items can be glued to the bottom depending on the season (for example, I might glue white fabric with glitter and pine branches and pinecones for winter).



So, what do we think? I'm absolutely using this all year round, but just changing the cardboard underneath.

Let me know what you think and if you'll try this in the comments below!

Until next time!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Just Playing...

I have a confession to make...

New Recipe: Thai Pumpkin Soup