Fall Decor DIY: No Sew Pillow Covers

Since the kiddos are back to school at the end of the month, I decided it was time to start getting my space ready for the fall. I mean, I won't go so far as to get my first PSL yet, but I do want to start making the apartment cozy and homey for the (eventually) cooler weather.  In this 3-part series, I'm going to show you all the little free-to-super cheap projects I've done that will make your space fall-ready and won't take up a ton of seasonal storage space.


DIY No-Sew Pillow Covers


I've mentioned before that we live in a small apartment without a lot of storage space. I also didn't have much when it came to decor period, never mind seasonal. So I purchased some cheap tan throw pillows from Walmart, figuring that I can keep them bare in warmer weather, and make more seasonal looking covers for them for cooler weather.  During fall and winter I LIVE in plaid, so I figured that would be a cute way to decorate them. I had a cheap plaid fleece throw blanket that I don't really use, so I figured I'd use it to cover the pillows. Also, I had to make these no-sew because I'm quite literally THE WORST at sewing.

Disclaimer: some of these steps are not necessarily how I personally made my pillow covers, but simpler steps to help you have an easier time making them than I did.

You'll need:


  • 2 throw pillows
  • 2 squares of your choice of fabric (try to choose something without a lot of stretch. My fleece had a lot of stretch to it, and I felt like it made the edges of the pillow cases a little weak, as if they might rip with any extra wear.) 
  • good pair fabric scissors (FUN FACT: you should have two pairs of scissors: one for regular household tasks and one specifically for fabric. The minute you use a pair of scissors to cut paper, it dulls them, so you'll never get a straight line on fabric.) 

1. Cut your squares of fabric four inches larger than your pillow (if your pillow is 16x16, cut your squares 20x20).
2. Lay the squares evenly on top of each other. From this point on, I'll be referring to the squares as if they're one piece.
3. Cut a fringe 2 inches by about one inch around the entire square. Cut off the corners and cut a small (1/4-1/2 inch) slit in the center of each strip.





4. Starting at one corner, take the first strip and pass it through the slit in the strip to the right (remember one "strip" is both pieces of fabric!). Now let go of that first piece and put the second strip through the slit on the third strip. Repeat until three sides of the square are complete.


5. Place the pillow between the two squares. Continue passing the strips through each other until you get to the last strip. Tie the ends together. If you want to make these removable like I did, tie them tight enough that they'll stay on, but loose enough that you can take the pillow case off.





If you need something that doesn't take up a lot of space but want to temporarily jazz up something you already have for the season, these covers are perfect. I think they're super cute and I don't even have to switch them out for winter!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Just Playing...

I have a confession to make...

New Recipe: Thai Pumpkin Soup