Making Something Pretty: Coping with Depression Through Art

Hi everyone! In my last post, I talked about how I've been suffering from what I think might be high-functioning depression. This means that I can get what needs to be done accomplished, but it takes so much effort and energy that everything extra falls by the wayside, including self care.

My next doctor's appointment isn't until right before Christmas, so I need to figure out what to do in the meantime.  For me, it's not enough to just say "I have a few minutes, let me sit down and write, color, read, etc." I know I won't do it, or I'll feel rushed and won't like what I made. I'm a big fan of lists, and I have always been good at meeting deadlines. So I'm thinking if maybe I make a point to give myself a project and a deadline, then maybe I'll be able to get it accomplished without being TOO critical of the outcome. For example, something that's been on my "when-I-have-time" to-do list is to make some seasonal canvas paintings for our entry.  I have two fall-themed ones, and I planned way back when to have three for each season.

So my plan is to either follow a tutorial on YouTube or check out what they're painting at my local paint-and-wine joints and make my own at home. I'm giving myself the deadline of November 1 for my last fall painting and Thanksgiving for the 3 winter ones (I always decorate for Christmas on Black Friday, so I'd like to have them all completed by then).


So friends, what do you think? Are there any other ways you've found that help you cope with depression or anxiety? Let me know in the comments!

Until next time, y'all!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Not Just Playing...

I have a confession to make...

New Recipe: Thai Pumpkin Soup